Zirku Refinery Upgrade
about the project
Zirku Island oil refinery (est. 1979), treats 1MMbbl of sour crude per day. Between 2013 and 2014, two major system integrators were awarded the ESD and F&G upgrade projects, that encompassed the EPC, for the replacement of the ESD and F&G systems.
Lagoni was contracted to provide engineering advice and design assurance through the project lifecycle. We worked closely with the HSE and Loss Prevention department at ZADCO (ADNOC) to ensure compliance with ZADCO specifications and international safety standards.
The activities on this project included:
• PHA study participation and review
• Functional safety assessments review (IEC 61511)
• Formal process safety assessment (API 6FA, API 14C)
• F&G design verification and validation (3D detector coverage, FRA)
• Contractual compliance review
• Development of plant-wide uniform ESD, F&G and alarm philosophies as well as the ESD hierarchy utilised during the detailed design phase for the system vendors.
More case studies...